Dradis-CE 3.6 - Failed Project Import - Invalid project template format


#1

Hi Rachel / Daniel / Dradis Community

So I managed to get Dradis-CE 3.6 working after a lengthy troubleshooting sessions and upgrading from 3.1.0RC2. Now it’s seemingly working OK I am trying to import my project, exported as a package (zip) from 3.1.0.RC2, but it fails with these errors, so am looking for pointers to try and resolve the problem?

[17:17:04] Enqueueing job to start in the background.

[17:17:04] Job id is 62e562e4-9913-4ccb-9057-64e73e225668.

[17:17:06] Running Ruby version 2.2.2

[17:17:06] Worker process starting background task.

[17:17:06] Uncompressing the file…

[17:17:06] 3/dradis_template-oscp.v0.3.html.erb

[17:17:06] 3/msf_db_export

[17:17:07] 3/export.xml

[17:17:07] 3/OpenVAS_v8_full_fast.xml

[17:17:07] 3/lab_nikto_http.xml

[snip]

[17:17:10] 853/proof.txt.png

[17:17:10] 853/ftp_commands.png

[17:17:10] 853/dir_payload.png

[17:17:10] 853/root_shell.png

[17:17:10] dradis-repository.xml

[17:17:10] Done.

[17:17:10] Loading XML template file…

[17:17:10] Loading template file from: /opt/dradis-ce/tmp/zip/dradis-repository.xml

[17:17:10] Done.

[17:17:10] Invalid project template format.

[17:17:10] Done.

[17:17:10] Moving attachments to their final destinations…

[17:17:10] undefined method `[]’ for false:FalseClass


#2

So I have narrowed down the problem.

All backups dated 11th April or earlier restore correctly into Dradis_CE 3.6 or 3.1.0RC2

All backups dated 12th April onwards fail into into Dradis_CE 3.6 or 3.1.0RC2

I’ll restore my snapshot of the latest data using 3.2.10RC2 and see if I can find anything. It seems something was entered /changed on 12th April that is causing the restoration to fail. But I really don’t know what I’m looking for, so any guidance sincerely appreciated.

So after many hour of troubleshooting I’m at a loss where to go from here. See the https://github.com/dradis/dradis-ce/issues/112 thread for extensive notes of all thr troublshooting I’ve tried. I really could do with some help to move forward from here.

I can’t continue to use 3.1.0RC2 knowing the backups aren’t working. I can’t recreate the data from the last working backed in 3.6 and manually recreate any more data as any subsequent backups also fail to reimport, from what looks like a different issue. Either way I risk progressing with my active project knowing I don’t have backups or a sound environment.

Thanks


#3

This problem has now been resolve thanks to Dradis’s excellent technical support, see the github issue for the resolution.

Basically some bad characters had been copied and pasted into a node’s evidence which was breaking the backup files. Once we had managed to locate the bad characters and delete them backups started working again!

Awesome support!


#4

This problem has now been resolve thanks to Dradis’s excellent technical support, see the github issue for the resolution.

I’m now running Dradis-CE 3.6 on Kali 2016.2 i686 Offensive Security PWK Image :slight_smile: